Friday, August 12, 2011

Chapter 27

As the doorbell rung, my heart pumped extremely hard.  I was both excited and nervous, I was going to meet my parents!  Smile!  SMILE!  You have to give them a good...'first-ish' impression. I tried to smile as naturally as I could, but through my heart pumping and my nervousness-I don't think it looked that natural.
Then, I heard footsteps.  Someone was coming to the door!  Just thirty seconds later, a middle aged woman came to the door.  She creaked open the sliding glass door.  She looked rather tired when she spoke, "may I help you?"  Her voice even sounded bored.  Oh great, this isn't going how I planned.
I looked at Ian a minute, and he nodded to her.  "Hi...um...I'myourdaughter."  I had to get it out or I would never be able to say it, and having Ian tell her isn't exactly ideal.
She raised an eyebrow at my and laughed strangely.  "Excuse me?  Are you role playing or something?  I only have one daughter and she's in college."
I smiled weakly.  "Yes, but...I'm your long lost daughter..."  I looked over at Ian.  Could Leonora have wiped their mind from the memory of me or something?
Then she screamed, "Eli!  Get over here."  Then she looked back at us.  "Well...um...why don't you come in?"

She showed us inside, and we stood in the doorway.  Eli came a minute later.
"What's this about?"  He came walking up to us slowly, giving us an eyebrow.  Then, he brought on that whole 'I'm going to be nice to the strangers in my house' attitude.  "Hello, folks.  What brought you to our modest abode?"
"Well...um..."  It was going to be hard to say it again.  But luckily, she did for me, "this girl claims to be our daughter."  She spoke with humor in her voice which I didn't appreciate.
Eli tried to be more polite about it, "honey, don't laugh.  This girl looks like she's being serious."  He looked at his wife sternly.  Thanks for saving my last shred of dignity, Eli.
"Look, miss.  You must have the wrong address.  We only have one daughter, and she's away at Bridgeport University.  We never had another daughter, my wife has only been pregnant once, it's impossible for us to have another daughter.  You have the wrong people."
I sighed deeply.  Leonora's good. But then Ian thought of something that I should have from the start, "and your name, sir?"
"I'm Eli Jacobs."  Ian smiled slightly.  So, I guess these aren't my parents... I was semi relieved that Leonora hadn't messed with their minds.
 Ian was the one to tell them goodbye, "well, thanks for hearing us out.  I'm sorry that we bothered you.  Have a nice day."  I just waved at them. Stupid!

We hopped back into the car and were silent a little bit.
"Um..Ian, what just happened?"
Ian answered me by taking out the slip of paper he wrote the address on.  He blushed deeply, "oh...um, I messed up the address..."
"What?  How could you do that!"
"I'm so sorry, Jezabelle.  We went to 126 Hickory Avenue...but we need to go to 126 Hickory Road.  Who has the same road name in the same town, just mixing up road and avenue?  Sheesh!"
"It's alright, Ian.  It was an accident..."
"Yeah, it was an accident, but I just totally embarrassed you.  Did you see how they looked at you like you were a lunatic?"
My eyes drooped, annoyed.
"I'm sorry Jezabelle, that was uncalled for..."
"So...are you going to take us to the right house this time?"
"Yes, I'm sure."

I looked at one particular house that we passed on the street, and I secretly hoped that my parent's house wouldn't look like that.  It just looked to run down and...blah.  No, your parents will have a nice house unlike in your daydreams.

Twenty minutes later, Ian stalled in front of a house.  Before parking, he double checked to make sure he got the address right this time.  He nodded to himself and we walked to the house.
I smiled at the house-the last house we went to was grand and everything...but this house just looked more like a family house.  Well, a large version of a family house.  Apparently my parents have money since the house looked like it was a bit on the larger side.
Slowly we walked up to the front porch.  As we got closer, I slowed my speed even more.  A snail could've passed me up.  Ian was in front of me, and he started walking backwards looking at me.  "Come on Jezabelle, you have nothing to worry about.  It'll be better this time, I promise."  He gave me a smile that almost made me melt.
I quickened my speed like he asked, but only by a little.  I kept thinking over and over in my head, it's alright, it will work out this time.  It's alright, this will work out this time.  It's alright, this will work out this time.

We walked up right by the door.  My heart thudded even faster then when we were at the last house-now there is a hint of doubt that these won't be my parents.  I know that Ian messed up before and that he probably didn't this time, but there was still a chance...
We stood there for a few moments, I was about to get away from the door just in case they saw us, but Ian stopped me.  "Jez, if you want I'll ring the doorbell and greet your parents this time I will."
I nodded, happy that he would do that for me.  And if they happened not to be my parents...then at least I wouldn't feel like such an idiot.
"Thanks, Ian..."
"Don't mention it.  I should do this after my mistake...."
I should have assured him that it's only human to make mistakes, but I just couldn't, I had been too embarrassed.
Ian hesitated, then rang the doorbell.

My legs threatened to give way when I heard footsteps come to the door.
In merely a moment, the man who is supposedly my father came out onto the patio. He had a fair amount of wrinkles on his face, he wore a dark orange long sleeved shirt, had tall hair (oh my llama, how is that possible?), and bright green eyes.  I didn't even think it was possible for a person to have such green eyes!
He looked at me and smiled, nothing registered.  I tried not to let my disappointment show.
"Hello...sir...um..."
Lucky for me, Ian saved my butt.  Again.  "Hello sir, we're wondering what your name is."
"Why?  Do you work for the government or something?"
Ian laughed a little, and so did I since, technically, he sort of does work for the government.  Instead, Ian said, "not exactly.  Just please tell us your name.  It's kind of important..."
He shrugged and said, "my name is Alexander Evans."
My eyes popped out of my sockets.  I know I should've been ready to hear my father blurt out his name since we went to his address, but still I was shocked that we got it right.  I mean, this is my father.
We were silent for another minute.  Oh great, today has been full of awkward moments.
My...dad broke the silence.  "So...why did you want to know my name?"
Ian looked at me, wondering if he should answer or if I'll say something, I answer by saying, "um..hi dad."
My dad's eyes expanded.  "Oh my llama..."
He paused for a long time, just staring at me, "Rachelle (Ra-shell)!  You have to get out here!"

Then, I heard footsteps stamping on the wood floors inside.  She screamed from far away, 
"what?  What is it? "  Her loud voice echoed through the whole house.
"Just..come out here.  You wouldn't believe it if I told you."  Dad screamed equally as loud.  My mother's footsteps sounded louder.
Then, she came bursting outside in a jog.  "What am I supposed to see?"  She looked straight passed us, as if dad screamed at her to show her something on the road.
"Rachelle."
Mom looked at him, then she saw us standing there.

She stopped moving instantly and turned her attention to me.  She smiled slightly, then her eyes grew in size ten fold-they were much larger than Alex's had been, which I didn't think was possible.  Then she blinked weird, brought her hand up to her eye, and moved it around.  "Stupid contact..."  She looked at me, "that happens when I make my eyes large like that sometimes...they just come out on blinking..."
I nodded weakly, and I surveyed her as she surveyed me.  It was apparent that she knew who I was without being prompted-and for good reason.  She looked like me!  She freaking looked like me in every way.  
Her eyes were similar to mine in color, her nose was like mine, her face shape...She had blonde hair like mine, but it was a few shades darker.
After adjusting her contact, she changed the shape of her eyes as well.  She still made them large, but not quite as large (they had been so large I was creeped.  Halloween anyone?).  "Wow...I never thought this day would come."  Dad nodded by her.  "Um...why don't you two come in."
We followed them inside.

As we walked we passed the kitchen.  And what a marvelous kitchen it was!  Sure Ian's kitchen is nice..but it's not really mine.  But these are my...you know...so it's more like it's mine, I guess?  Well, whatever, the kitchen was roomy, had a nice little island, and everything was dark wood with marble counter tops.  I love it!
Mom and Dad walked rather fast and a good few steps in front of us.  I couldn't help but think, what, are we in a marathon or something?  But my thoughts kept reverting back to, oh my llama oh my llama oh my llama.  I'm with my parents right now!
Mom looked back at me noticing my reaction to the kitchen, "ah, you like it?  I love it too.  I'm always in there baking.  So fun!"  I was kind of amazed by my mother's reaction to me.  Through all of the weirdness, she could still converse semi coherently!

They took us into the living room.  "You guys can sit..."  We stood for a moment as we watched them sit on the love seat.  So, Ian and I took a seat on the couch.  I was glad that Ian didn't decide to sit far away from me this time.
I was surprised when my mom started talking right away, though it did seem awkward at first, "I never thought this day would come.  You have come home to us...  This is about as surprising as it would be if I burnt cookies, since that never happens...but this is actually a positive thing."  I cracked a grin.  I apparently have a rather weird mom.  But...she's my mom.  This is unbelievable...
Dad spoke up, "so...tell us your story."
I looked over at Ian for some help.

"Well...hello Mrs. and Mr. Evans...I'm Ian Manharty, friend of Jezabelle.  You see, your daughter had amnesia for years and she strayed away from home when she was a mere child.  A kind old lady took her in and raised her, but never took her to the local authorities or anything.  One day I stumbled on her and we...did some tests to see who her parents were."
They both raised an eyebrow, but after a moment, it looked like they bought it.  Oh dear llama-thank you for having them believe... I wiped a little sweat off my brow after I checked to see they weren't looking.  Ian's scenario seemed shaky at best, but I don't think my parents cared so much about the story as me being there.
I asked them something, "um...what's your story?"
Dad spoke for them, "we don't remember the day you left us at all.  It's like it was swiped from our memory.  One day you were with us, the next day you weren't."
I looked at my mother who was starting to get teary eyes.  "We missed our little girl...oh Jezabelle, you were only three when you left us.  We never thought we'd get you back..."

Then we looked over to the kitchen because we heard a noise.  "Mom!  Where's my bracelet?"
Mom looked at her and screamed just as loud as she did, "I don't know!  Where'd you put it last?!"
Then she turned her attention to us and raised an eyebrow.  "Mom, who the heck are these people?"
Mom looked at me, "Candace...meet your sister, Jezabelle.  And her friend Ian."
She turned to me and looked at me gaping.  Oh my gosh, so now I have a sister, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note to readers: I just wanted to let you know if you didn't read my last story, Rachelle (Jez's mom) is my simself, except I'm not that old and not married.  LOL.  I am as weird as I portray myself to be.  The large eye contact thing is actually true xD.

Also, I love the comments I've been getting.  Keep them comin!  Lurkers, break out of your shell, even if you comment something simple :).

8 comments:

  1. I love all the shock Jezabelle is having this chapter. Shock-normal-Shock-normal-SHOCK! x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Kitty. Yup, pretty much.

    @singer-yes, I know, I love Alex. OBVIOUSLY xD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder how the parents will react when the name Leonora (sp?) comes back into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i rlly dont kno wat to say about this except I WANT MORE!!!! this was rlly good and im not sure how i feel about it. if i like it or if im confused its all really wells written and its just amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, i have been lurking for a while and it seems i'm slightly addicted!!
    Really creative story! and i love the name jezabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the comments, guys. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story is kinda like going through a tunnel, a few sharp turns, then it narrows.'Bam' your out in the open free falling. Trying to take it all in before reality hits bottom.

    :-)

    ~Mr Si-Fi

    ReplyDelete