Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chapter 5

Dumar continued to look at me, with his big eyes, staring into my soul.  I felt like I could melt, I was lucky that I was fine.  My feet were feeling quite solid.
"Hey Jez-would you like to look at the stars with me?  That is, if you're willing to part with seeing them up close with the telescope."
What kind of a question is that?  Of course I'd rather look at them-even if they're no longer close-with him!
"Yes, of course I'd love to see the stars with you!"  I sounded a little too giddy for my liking, but Dumar didn't seem to notice.  Depsite our species being together for so long, sometimes implications of our speech may not be noticed by the other.  Or maybe he just ignored it for the sake of not embarrasing me?  Well, he is friendly after all.

I loved looking at the stars with him.  Sometimes I pointed out a constellation since I'm an expert at them, but really I was looking at him far more than I was the stars.  Whether I'll admit it to myself or not, he has captured my heart, and there's no way I'm going back no matter what.  The question is: what will he do with my heart now that I'm handing it over?  But I guess I haven't done that yet, I haven't confessed my love or anything.

Just as quickly as he came, Dumar was starting to leave, sliding down the pole to the room below. 
"Gotta go Jez-it's getting late."
But I stopped him.  I am through with him coming and going as he pleases!
"Wait-Dumar-don't go..."
Still holding onto the pole, he looked at me.
I sighed, figuring I had to confess right away if we were ever going to get anywhere.  "Look, Dumar.  I really like you.  Please, stay."
He turned around, looked at me, and grinned.  His smile  touched his eyes.

He came back over to me with that same gushy look he initially gave me when he saw the new me.
"I like you too Jez.  But I really do have to go.  I wish I could stay with you longer watching the stars-but, my mother would freak out.  Can't have that, can we?"
I shivered, thinking about my own 'mother'.  I really am not sure of what she was going to make of the new me, and I didn't really want to think about it.
"No, I guess not."  I stared at the floor, disapointed that he was going to skitter away from me again.  It's funny how when we met, I was the one to flee, and now he is the one too, but at least it hasn't been right away.
"Look, I'll give you my code number."
He whispered it into my ear.  I shivered. Oh my gosh-his lips are right by my ear.  His lips are right by my ear!
I blushed at my thought's implications, but I also smiled because Dumar just said that he liked me-and he just gave me his earpiece number!!
I whispered in his ear to give him my earpiece number.  I loved the way he leaned into me so he could quietly hear my words.  I purposely said them quietly so he would have to lean in.  I almost wanted to lean to the left a little more to kiss his cheek, but I thought better of it.

I came home sad that he had to go right away (and of course I just left when I was sure he was out of the vicinity), and happy that I had his earpiece number.  I think I know where we stand!  He has been scoping me out and trying to get to know me, desperate for me to know him and accept him-maybe that's why he told me that story about his species' past.  And he leaves uncertain of my feelings for him-certainly that's what it is!

When I got in bed, I fell asleep quickly.  I could sleep knowing that Dumar likes me-possibly the only good looking guy on the moon.  Could I be any luckier?

When I got up, I directly went in the bathroom to primp up.  So my hair stays nice when I want it to without much effort, that is true, but I still have to apply makeup and slip into my jeans.  I kind of miss my old skirt, but if jeans are what attracts Dumar, than so be it.  He's only noticed me since I've worn jeans.  So what if I have to suck it in more, and get chafed with every step.  Maybe I should just lose weight?  I don't walk nearly enough or eat healthy enough.  I should eat less!
But I stared at myself in the mirror, primping, grinning at myself with my new look.  I've never looked so pretty, never felt so similar to all the other girls here.  I still don't compare, but I don't look so geeky any more.

After my school work, I got on chat to talk with giggler.

giggler920: Hey BB!  What's new?
brightbabe62: Oh, certain fun things.
giggler920: Dish.
brightbabe62: So I saw that guy I was tellin you about...Dumar.
giggler920: This is gonna be good.
brightbabe62: Yeah, he came up when I was looking at the stars through my telescope.  He keeps coming and going.
giggler920: Oh really?  That's weird!
brightbabe62: Well, he finally gave me that 'look' that a girl wants a guy to give her if you catch my drift...he called me beautfiul!
giggler920: You are friggin kidding!
brightbabe62: It's all because I gave myself a makeover!  I now look more like all the other supermodel girls here!
giggler920: Whatever it takes to catch your man!
brightbabe62: I know right?  It is so worth it.

"Jez!  Come down for some lunch.  You must be starving."
I already skipped breakfast because I didn't want to see Harah.  What will she think of me now?  Well, this will have to happen sooner or later.  And anyway, I'm famished.
I took a deep breath and made my way downstairs.

As I came downstairs, Harah was standing there scowling at me.
I took a deep breath and waited for her to do whatever she was planning to do.  I wasn't expecting her to yell at me, since she always wants to be nice to me.  But, she's never given me such a look before, and I've never drastically changed my looks...But she should understand!  Dumar wouldn't take me otherwise.  I want a chance at a relationship!  Surely Harah would understand?

"You did this for a boy, didn't you?  DIDN'T YOU!?"
I cringed.  She's never yelled at me before.  She didn't even seem to care about the makeover, just that I did it to impress a guy.
I looked at the ground.
"Come on Jezabelle Maria Evans!  Why did you do this to yourself?  This isn't you?  You did this for a guy!"
"Yes-alright, I did this for a guy.  The best looking guy I've ever seen.  He was actually cute, Harah!  There will never be a guy like this to cross my path again...I did what I had to do.  I want him to like me!"
"Jezabelle!  He should like you for you not because you changed yourself!  Don't see him, I forbid it.  Guys are bad news, trust me."

I gave Harah a look of angered question and confusion. She's never even mentioned guys in this household at all, at least not them being a gender or date-worthy.  I didn't realize she'd be so set against it.  She didn't even disapprove of my outfit!  She just disapproved of me using my looks to get a guy.
"But how would I compare to the other girls if I looked the way I did?  He only started to notice me until I got this makeover."
"Jezabelle.  Go ahead and see him.  You will have to learn this lesson for yourself, don't tell me I didn't warn you."
I shivered.  I almost wanted her to continue to yell at me, but she was doling out a threat that I would get tossed around like a fish by Dumar!  I refuse to believe that.  He has only been nice to me.  I won't have to learn the hard way or the easy way.  He'll like me, we'll work out!
I sat down for our lunch, and I managed to clap for myself, biterly.  We were having autumn salad, by favorite.  We ate in silence.  Harah refused to even look at me.  She just had that serious look on her face that adults do when they don't want to talk with you.  It was really awkward, and I wanted it to be over.

After lunch, I immediatly decided to go to the lab to do some experiments.  There was no way that I was going to stay home with Harah there.  She might go back to work, but I don't know.  Often she seems to come home during her lunch hour.  Certainly now she doesn't want to be on my good side.

As I was walking I heard a slight beep in my ear. I found the piece in my mouth and pressed it with my tongue.  Someone has called me.  My heart lept in hope.
In my ear, I heard a voice. "Hey Jez, this is Dumar."
I whispered in my mouth.  Since the mouthpiece part is just in my mouth, I don't have to project my voice.  If it's fuzzy or not loud enough, it will enhance my voice when it reaches his ears.
"Dumar.  I am so happy to hear from you."
"Yes, I am too.  Meet me in town, I want to be with you."
I grinned as big as possible.  Dumar wants to see me!

When I found him, I suggested that I wanted to go to the laundromat because I remembered that I forgot a shirt.  But really, that wasn't true, I don't ever come here.  We have this stuff at home.
The whole time, he held my hand which was a silent promise that he wanted to be with me.  I was so happy to learn that.  His hand was the perfect temperature.  It wasn't sweaty, so he wasn't super nervous.  It wasn't a hard ice cold which assured me that he felt nothing, but a nice lukewarm, promising me that he liked me, but not creepily.
When we got inside the laundromat, I saw a girl which I was hoping she would.  She only had a sports bra on which was showing off her flat stomach.  I got a little nervous that Dumar would look at her and find her attractive, but he didn't.  He looked at me instead.  When she spotted us together, she got really mad.  And that's what I was hoping for.  Now the only good looking guy on the moon is mine, and all the girls will be jealous.  Could I get any luckier?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you all for the new comments!  I really appreciate them.  I would comment back, but long story short, blogger won't keep me logged in for me to be able to give any sort of comment back.  But I am reading them and appreciating them!

I upload Dumar if anyone is interested.  Someone requested him on the forums, so I decided to upload him early.  I'm sure that none of you care to dl any of them, but if you want someone in particular, just ask.  Here is Dumar.  How many of you found out about my story from that upload?  I mentioned my story and I saw I had a lot more visits from my page on the official forums, since I said to look there on my upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment