Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chapter 1

I sat on my computer chair and I stared up at my city painting.  I was pretty much done with my schoolwork now.  I whiz through my work very easily.  My favorite subjects are science and history.  The strange thing about history, though, I'm only taught the culture parts of it, with some wars.  I am not taught anything about the government-I wish I knew why.
I zoned out staring at the painting.  The painter James Plonteau, resident of the moon, painted it.  He is a very famous painter on the moon.  It was painted in his image of what an earthly city could look like at the end of the world-at least that's what I've always though that it looked like.  The sky is orange, so that could symbolize fire.  The moon isn't populated enough to have that many skyscrapers as the painting depicts. I imagine that he must be like me, wanting to visit Earth.  You have to be very important to be able to fly to Earth.  It's not always about the money.  Usually the scientists are the ones that are able to go to Earth, as we have the perfect atmosphere for scientists to study space with without Earth type interferences.  We do have an atmosphere, yes, but it's not as thick as Earth's, and not as high up.  There are a few very tall buildings that transcend the atmosphere that are perfect places for scientists to study.  Since scientists are able to go to Earth, maybe I could become a scientist.
I looked back at my computer.  It was only eleven thirty, I finish my school work rather early.  It's not that hard for me, and we only have five subjects.  Math, science, English, history, and psychology.  I can choose to go to the town's center for extracuricular classes-such as robotics, wood working, art, and a few others I can't think of.  But I'm not really interested in them, mostly since that involves being with other kids my age.  And since there aren't many kids my age, that means that there are five kids in one extra curricular class with just an automated machine telling us what to do, and a camera.  There is one person in another room that watches all of the classes.  It's really impersonal.  I don't even like anyone my age anyway, so what's the point?
Since I was done with my school work, I logged onto Monty chat to see if giggler920 was on.  I was delighed to see that she was.

brightbabe62: Hey giggler what up?
giggler920: Not much.  I just drank some coffee.  I'm really tired today.  It's really gross and black.  That's the last time I ask Jake to make me coffee!
brightbabe62: That's too bad.  I'm actually quite happy, I'm done with my school work!
giggler920: Did you pass with flying colors on your last test?
brightbabe62: You know I did!  I barely studied.  Skimming the chapter's information once is good for me.
giggler920: Yeah, yeah, you lucky chick.

Then I heard Harah's voice.  "JEZABELLE!  TIME FOR LUNCH!"
She is sometimes obnoxiously loud.

brightbabe62: G2G
giggler920: See ya!

I went downstairs and I noticed that mac and cheese was made.  Harah didn't make it, we never have to make our meals.  We just speak to the kitchen, and it internally gathers the ingredients and makes it all and cooks it in the oven.  Everything is programmed into it-when we want new recipes, we just google them on the computer and input the code to our kitchen.  Most people don't even eat together for this reason.  We can just eat whenever we want.  Kitchen can cook as small of a meal or as large of a meal as needed (within reason, of course).
"So how is your day so far, sweety?"
"Fine.  Fine I guess.  Why are you home so early?"
The strange thing about Harah...she works in this big old important building, and she won't tell me what her job is, anything about it.  Who does that?
"Oh-I was able to take the day off.  I wanted to spend it with you!  I love you Jezzie."

I scoffed at Harah.  It really annoys the hell out of me the way that she speaks to me sometimes.  At times, she's just too damn nice!  That's her problem.  She thinks she's perfect, and at times she acts that way.  That's why I'm annoyed with all the girls here!  There's nothing you shouldn't like about them, and yet I do.
She talks to me like she's my boyfriend or something sometimes.  And since she's not, it's quite annoying.  'Jezzie'?  Please.
"Harah, I told you not to ever call me 'Jezzie'.  Stop it already!"
"Sorry, dear.  Jezabelle."
There's another thing.  Most parents would tell you to shut your mouth or speak nicely to your elders, something around those lines.  Harah is always trying to be on my good side, and I have no clue why.  Trust me, I am clear out of ideas.  I've overly contemplated the situation.
"So I got off work early-I thought we could do something this afternoon.  What do you want to do?"
"Nothing with you.  I am going to the lab."
"Okay-have fun!"
She always wants to do things with me, but I guess that I've grown into a loner since I don't like anyone enough to spend time with.

I walked just a little ways to the lab.  On its lawns are windmills and solar panels.  I know, windmills shouldn't work on the moon.  But, we do have an atmosphere, which came with winds.  Something about atmospheres brings about wind currents, I don't really know that much about it.  So we have wind and a blue sky, but that's as far as it goes with weather.  Our atmosphere is sustained to keep it at a lukewarm temperature all year round.  It barely gets warmer here in the summer.  It never gets hotter than seventy five degrees farenheit, or colder than sixty five degrees.  We don't have to worry about hurricanes or thunderstorms, or any deadly storm.  That is one of the few drawbacks of living here.  We don't have access to the same technologies that Earth people do-unfortuanatly.  I'm always complaining about it to Harah, who of course always listens to me and doesn't mind it, and never complains herself.  I'm telling you, she's perfect.


I stepped into the elevator to go up to my destination, and I thought about elevators-I'm constantly relaying information to myself of random facts that I've learned over the years-I have a great memory.  It helps when you're in school.  A lot.
Hard to imagine that elevators were first around in the Middle Ages, relying on man power.  And the elevator that I know of today first came around centuries and centuries ago-in the 1800's reyling on steam or hydrolic power!  And now it's all motorized, controlled by computers.
What would the world be like without computers?
I waited just a few brief moments until I made it to the third floor, and I got out.

I went over to the chemistry station.  I am a nerd, there is nothing to it.  Sure I don't wear glasses and fleece and knee high socks, but amongst all of the beautiful perfect women here, I am as nerdy as it gets.  When I'm done with school I often come here and toy around with all of the chemicals that are supplied here.
Sometimes, scientists come here and 'play' around (they find this fun as I do).  Rarely, important investigations occur here.  Do I know why?  I have no clue whatsoever.  Adults tell me nothing that I want to know.  That's why the computer-and more specifically google- are my best friend.  They tell me what others won't-and still, I am not able to find out everything on the internet.  There is just so much information that finding specifics is sometimes nearly impossible.

My gaze shifted to the right side of the room.  I've always wanted to travel in time-in the future or the past, whatever.  I used to think that this is how I got to the moon here:  that I was taken here from the past and put on the moon for some reason totally beyond me.  That I'm a pawn or something.  But people from the past are never allowed to go into the future, at least not until the time machine was invented.  I was pretty sure that in the time I was from it didn't yet exist. 
Only certain people are allowed to use the time machine from the start.  If you were to go in the past, you'd have to be alone, have a certain permit, and most likely work for the government.  Usually those are just missions to check history-to see if everything was right.  Of course, they'd have to blend in.  They couldn't make history in the past-that could surely change the future.  We can't have that!
I tried to go in it once when I was nine.  I was foolish!  I somehow thought I would be able to open it and simply click 'go two centuries in the future' on a button inside of the time machine.  I was never able to get in in the first place.
Even if you were to go in the future, you still have to blend in but it's not as important as if you were to go to the past. 
Then when you're inside there's a lot of complicated knobs and switches which are like secret codes that say what date you wish to go to.  Then there's a hidden go button.  It's supposed to be extremely difficult, and only a handful of people in the government know.  Even the scientists that go only know the combination of knobs and switches when they time travel.  Immediatly after their mission is done, that small part is wiped from their minds.  Security is tight, I tell ya.
I would love to be one of those scientists to travel in time-but I wish.
I'm not even quite sure what that other device does to its right.  It looks like it is an x-ray type thing, that must have to do with the time machine.  I can think of what it could be used for in that manner, but it sounds to silly to say.

Then I noticed Mrs. Smite walking over to me.
"Excuse me Jez.  I have some work to get done, do you mind putting your chemicals aside?"
I hate how the adults here think they can boss me around.  More despicable?  I listen to them!  Only ladies come here, they're the only ones smart enough to be scientists!  I wish I knew why guys were only dumb.  I don't even know if there are any smart guys.  Ironically, the television shows I watch only have women in them.  Strange much?  I would agree.
"Yes, Mrs. Smite.  I'm on my way.  Good luck with your experiment."
"Thank you very much, Jez."
Sometimes ladies here are just so nice that I want to squeeze their pretty little faces!  They all think they're so much better than me.

So I walked away from the station and I looked at the computer station.
Sometimes kids my age come here to do their school work on the computers.  It's perfectly allowed.  But I usually don't come here during school hours (usually everyone is done by lunch time.  I probably could get done much sooner, but I talk to giggler, or I google up whatever suits my fancy).

After that, I decided to walk to the garden dome.  It too is within close walking distance of my house!
The domes are pumped with carbon dioxide all of the time.  Us humans here make the CO2 (courtesy of breathing-I know, you had no idea), and some of the oxygen is pumped out so us humans can breath it, and some kept in so that, when us humans are inside, we can breath.  That is sort of important.
Our water supply is pumped underground.  Water is quite an easy compound to make.  Space abounds with a lot of hydrogen molecules, so we have giant long pipes here on the moon that extract hydrogen molecules-and only the hydrogen molecules.  The pores are microscopic in size, and as hydrogen is the simplest element, only it can fit through the small size of the pores.  A vacume brings the hydrogen down the tube, and go into tanks that are recycled.  Then, it goes to a facility and chemically bonded with oxygen.  It helps that we grow a lot of our plants here, so that's where the oxygen comes from.
This method is relatively inexpensive.
Anyway, the water from the ground is extracted and there's open pumps in all of the green domes, as well as openings for each home that goes into the plumbing.

I went into the building in order to make my way to the dome-it has to be void of any conceivably close openings, which is why you have to go into a building and make your way into another building deep within the dome. 
It costs a few simoleons to get into the garden and to pay for the harvestables since the gardens aren't officially harvested.  Many people like me go in to harvest for a small amount of cash.  Some people harvest a lot of the fruits and sell them to grocery stores, but I personally love to go into the garden.

I made my way into the dome, and I breathed in the natural air.  At least, as natural as I've ever smelled.  It always smells a bit like chemicals, but it also smells like fresh fruit and flowers.

I went to harvest a few apples.  Apples are a staple here.  There are about two dozen apple trees here.

Then I went to harvest some garlic.  When you're a vegetarian, sometimes you just need a strong spice to make everything more savory.  Garlic is a staple in my household.

After I harvested a few more things, I sat down on the bench and I stared at the water.  Sometimes I fish here too, but I don't feel like it today.  Fish eggs were brought here a few centuries ago, and they too are a staple in our diet.  They are all genetically modified, so they can exist in little water, and can coexist among many fish.  The fish are delicious and tasty.

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Loving the story so far!! Very detailed and interesting. How did you get her to be able to go inside the dome??

    Also, I love the eyes of Mrs. Smite in this chapter! What skin/makeup/eyes did you use on her? They look so realistic! I'm off to read more now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Really love it! It's great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome I love this story <3
    So glad I started reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much XtraOrdinary, it means a lot. Just wait till you see what happens later-and there's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great idea on the hydrogen extractor.

    Have you ever watched the TV show Babylon5? Little bit of science, but a focus on the lives of the characters.

    ~Mr Si-Fi

    ReplyDelete