Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chapter 8

I looked at myself in the mirror, and I smiled.  Recently I went to the salon and changed my look.  In most ways, I reverted back to my old style, but with a little more flair.  I gave myself a cuter, sexier skirt in a bright blue shade, and I put on some modest but cute shoes.  They have a little heel now, but they aren't insanely high either.  I can walk comfortably in them.   I was wrong-I should never have changed myself for Dumar.  I can't believe I let love get the best of me!  He tried to change me to someone that wasn't me-a more mischevious girl.  I always hated when he'd make me pull pranks with him, I always felt uncomfortable, it wasn't my thing.
Who needs guys anyway?  They're all like Dumar, just as Harah says.  All of them are that way, so why should I even try?  Harah is right, as always.  I should just listen to her from now on.
Love is no longer on the menu, but I've been thinking about other things.

I went on chat to talk with giggler.  I don't know what I'd do without her, she seems to be the only one to understand my situation, that agrees that all people that I speak of are strange.  If only she could visit me and take me away from this place, my life, which hasn't gone anywhere.

giggler920: How are you doin without Dumar?  You handlin it okay lately?
brightbabe62: I'm fine.  I can live without him.  Clearly, he was a fake anyway.  I don't need guys.  Have you gotten yourself a boyfriend yet?
giggler920: No, I think I'm destined to be single.  I'm a total turnoff, I'm just going to say that.
brightbabe62: What do you mean?
giggler920: I can't tell you.  Believe me, if I could, I would. 
brightbabe62: You and your secrets.  I tell you everything!
giggler920: Oh, I wish I could tell you everything.  As I just said, if I could I would.

So I can confide in giggler, but I can't truly hold a two way conversation with her!  I tell her my life, and she comments on it and gives vague details about her life.  She's keeping secrets from me, and I wish I could know them.  But there's no way I could, she is an anonymous person that I confide in on a chat.  It's not like I could google her or anything.

brightbabe62: G2G.  Talk with you later.
giggler920: See u!

I stood up, and I took a deep breathe.  I had to call Axwell Labs to follow up, to make sure I get a job.  I filled out an application earlier on the computer for a job to start out my career as a scientist.  I'm not just going to sit around and do nothing while nothing, in turn, happens in my life.  No, I can't have it that way!

I pressed the button in my mouth, and quietly said Axwell Lab's ID.
"Yes, hello Axwell Labs.  Could I please speak to the manager?"
"Yes, hold on."
I waited a second, and then a female's voice spoke, "How may I help you?"
"I wanted to make sure you got my online application I sent in earlier today."
I feel really silly asking, because of course they got it.  But according to giggler, this is how you get interviews, and she has a job though she won't tell me what it is.
"Yes, we did."
I realized that she didn't ask for my name, since she knew that of course it made it in.
"When are the hours for the position?"
"Oh, it varies depending on your schedule.  We expect every new employee to put in about fifty hours a week, but only at first."
I gasped, fifty hours is quite long, but for my dream job, I can handle that.
"Let me see if I can fit you in for an interview."
I squealed, yay, I may actually get this job!  In your face Harah!
"Yes, I can fit you in for seven o' clock tonight at Tankbar and Restaurant.  Does that work for you?"
"Oh yes, that's perfect!  Thank you, bye."
"Bye."

That night, I Harah watched me as I made my way to the door, ready for the interview.  I decided I didn't have to change since I was already fancy enough.  Anyway, she gave me a sad look, shaking her head.
"Jezie, you're not going to get this job.  You know you aren't.  What did I tell you?"
"I don't believe you."
I could almost detect her shrugging without seeing her.  I can read her like a book. "Okay, you'll just have to find out for yourself."

I made my way into my little Twizy which Harah finally bought for me when I turned eighteen.  Most people on the moon own this type of vehicle because it is powered either through the harsh rays of the sunshine, or hydrogen, and since hydrogen abounds in space, it comes really cheap.  This type of car is almost zero maintanence.
I smiled to myself as I drove.  Yeah, Harah, and why wouldn't they hire me?  I'm smart, I've always got good grades, I'm a good girl.  What reason would they have not to hire me?

Soon I made it to Tankbar and Restaraunt, and I went to the cashier.
"Um, excuse me sir, I have an interview with Mrs. Writin."
I chose to not even look at the guy, even though I am perfectly qualified for a job at Axwell Labs, I couldn't help but be nervous.  I've never had an interview before.
"Yes, she is over there."  He didn't even bother to look at me either, which I didn't question because of course he's a guy, and probably incompetent.
He pointed at a table very close to the cash register, which made me feel rather stupid.

I walked over to the table where Mrs. Writin sat, and I didn't even look at her.  I looked at the floor to gain composure of myself.  You'll do fine, Jezabelle, of course you will.
I looked at her, and scowled, realizing that she didn't even bother to change out of her jeans.  This is a job interview, and here she is without even trying to look like she's trying.

I sat at the table, and I noticed Chesca.  I decided I was through with being jealous of her, she can have the stupid, rotten Dumar is she wants him. Mrs. Writin started asking me questions without even thinking, without emotion.
"Yes, and what is your name miss?  I never quite caught it on the phone."
It was kind of weird that she never even cared to ask me my name when we were on our mouthpieces, but I wasn't going to just tell her if she didn't care.
"Jezabelle Evans."
She frowned at me. "You are Jezabelle Evans.  Oh my god."
I gave her a quizical look, "What?  What's wrong?"
"I never should have set up an interview with you.  If only I asked for your name and I wouldn't be in this predicament!  I can't finish this interview, I just can't!"
She got up, and stormed off, covering her eyes.  I was so confused.

I got up too, and I thought about this weird occurence.
Um, lady, you didn't even interview me.  How could I have disapointed you?  I just told you my name, that's it!  It's not like I'm a criminal.  Far from it.  How could Harah be right...How could she know that I wouldn't be hired?
I laughed a little bit to myself and waved it off.  It's just that Harah's always right-so why should she be wrong this time?  It's her gut feeling-she has a good gut...
The situation seemed irrational, but there were no good rational conclusions, so I decided to not even think about it anymore.
Then I blinked, and all of a sudden a guy was staring at me, he was right in front of me!  I held my breath for a minute, beholding the implausible.  I didn't hear him come up to me, I didn't see him in the room at all before.  And then, he was just there. Just as Dumar was, he was a Brightian and handsome.
What is it with them aliens and good looks?
No, no.  I am done with guys.  No more...they aren't trustworthy!
"Hey miss, I'm Pumell.  I wanted to say I'm sorry that your interview went haywire.  I wonder why she went so beserk like that."
You have no idea.

I gave him an agitated expression, "why did you come over to talk with me?  Are you hitting on me or something?"
"Wo, wo.  Chill, I'm just sorry about your interview, that's all."
"Oh, just tell me the truth.  I know how you all are, guys' only motives is to get the girl, there are no other!"
I felt empowered and confident at the moment-which really surprised me.
He touched my shoulder, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come over to talk with you.  Clearly, you had a bad breakup recently.  But it's okay, it always gets better.  Here, keep this and call me when you're feeling better."
I took the sheet out of his hand, but I took it with scorn and annoyance, and I put it in my pocket.  He was acting way too nice for my liking, and clearly he wanted to get with me, because why else would he give me his ID number on a sheet of paper?
After that, he just let me go.  I'll tear up the sheet of paper later, when I'm alone.

When I got home, I opened up the fridge and took out a leftover waffle.  Since I was going to have my interview at a resaraunt, I figured that meant I'd get to eat there, but since it went haywire...that didn't happen.  Harah sat down with me.
"So, how'd it go?"  She gave me an expectant look.
"Super crappy.  She made me go as soon as I told her her name.  My name!  Isn't that weird?  She wouldn't hire me because I'm Jezabelle Evans..."
She gave me a knowing look, "yes, I knew that would happen."
"Why Harah-how could you know?"
Instead of answering me, she changed the subject, "did anything else happen there?"  She raised her eyebrow.
"Yes-a Brightian guy tried to pick me up!  I declined though.  He was just like Dumar.  Ah, them Brightian guys seem so suave...but really they're not."
"What, Dumar was an alien now?"
That's right, I just realized that I never told Harah that he was a Brightian, she's never even met him!
"Yeah, what's the big deal?"
"Brightians are bad news, guys are bad news, but Brightian guys are the worst.  You will never want to see that guy-trust me.  When am I ever wrong?"
I fumed.  Secrets, secrets!  Sometimes Harah just seems telepathic..or able to tell the future.  What does she know?  I will prove her wrong!

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is holding secrets from Jez, I would be really annoyed if I were her. It seems as if she is someone special though. Also another Brightian guy hmmm that's interesting. Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete