Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chapter 18

Yes, and now the rest of the story will be much different from what it was.  So, this is pretty much going to be my longest story ever.  This is the start of the third part!  The big question will be answered in this chapter..so read on!

My eyes fluttered.  I wasn't too sure where I was-but I had been sleeping.  The first thing that came to mind as I started to wake up was, where's Ross?  I wasn't sure if I wanted him anymore, just because of his gender, but I wanted to be with someone I knew.
As I opened my eyes, I saw a woman looking at me.
"Ah, good afternoon, Jezabelle."
I looked at her quizzically.  I've never seen this woman before in my life, and yet she knew my name.  But then, a new thought arose in my mind, but supposedly everyone knows my name, so why not her?  What's the point in asking, anyway?  She'll just say some weird thing like, 'well, everyone knows you'.
Thinking about the impossible again made my head hurt.  What I went through today was so weird-so where am I now?

I got up, not in the least bit scared.
"Um...where am I?"
"Why-you're in my house, that's where you are?"
Suddenly, I became scared of her.  "What do you mean I'm in your house?  What happened...?"
"Oh, Jezabelle.  You're a smart girl, certainly you figured it out by now."
Clearly, I had not because I was more confused then ever.  "No, I haven't.  Um-I failed?  Please, enlighten me."
"Well-Jezabelle, your whole life was a lie."
I laughed at her.  Yes, I was going crazy.  "What are you talking about?"
"You were in a coma this whole time.  When you were a little girl, I saved you and brought you to my house.  That whole world you lived in was all a lie, made up by your mind.  Suddenly, you got out of it.  I don't know what you did, but here you are."
I couldn't believe what I was hearing!  A coma-and this nice lady saved me and brought me to her house!  How nice of her.
"Um...thanks?"
"Don't mention it.  I'm sure you're a bit surprised right now-so I'll let you be alone for a little while.  Stay here."

When she left, I started to look around the room.  The room was decorated modestly (at least it wasn't just white walls and metal floors!), but there was some confusing equipment around.  One of them was a television, but the rest I didn't recognize.  Oh, that must've been helping with my vital signs or feeding or something.
I shivered, the truth was beginning to sink in.  How could it be that my whole life is a lie?  Living on the moon in the future-so when is it now?  Dumar, Pumell, the aliens in general!  My baby Ross-so that must mean I never really had a baby!  I wasn't quite sure if I should be relieved that I never had a kid, or miserable.  I don't have anyone to share my life with.  So...where does that leave me in life?  I have no where to go.  It's like I'm living at Harah's again!  Who was a lie.  It was all a lie!  I will be dependent-oh, what do I do?

In vain, I decided to go on the computer to see if giggler was there.  Why did I even think she would be there?  My brain made her up.  I just needed something comforting...I needed something to be real!
I got on chat, and for the first time in my life, she wasn't on.
I was really sad, of course, and extremely shocked, but I was too jolted to cry.  My life was a lie-now I'm a young adult, and I know nothing.
I looked to my left and right, and saw two other weird things.
 What the heck is this stuff?
I was feeling incredibly stupid-there was absolutely nothing I could do.

Then I walked over to one of the windows by my bed, and I glanced out the window.
Of course, and the moon was all a lie.  It was all a lie!  I've been on Earth this whole time.
Even though it shouldn't have, realizing that I was on Earth jolted me.  I've always wanted to go to Earth-but it turns out, that's where I always was.  Just unconscious and oblivious.  I was unconscious and oblivious for my whole childhood!

Before I could think anything else, she came back in the room.
"How are you feeling, Jezabelle?"
"Overwhelmed.  Defeated. Confused."
She nodded sadly.  "I'm so sorry this happened to you, Jezabelle.  Really, I am."
"What happened to me when I was little that I fell into my coma?"
She looked solemnly down.  "I don't know, Jezabelle.  You were passed out when I reached you."
"But...what am I going to do?"
She smiled.  "You just need to recover from your experiences.  I have a few calls I will have to make.  There's a study regarding comas, and you are a very interesting subject.  They want to ask you a few questions about your 'life.'"
I nodded slowly and sadly.  I was in so much shock, that I wasn't even crying.
"Sure-I'll answer some questions..but what am I going to do?" I repeat.
"I'll help you back on your feet after you ask questions."
"My parents-"
"I don't know anything about your parents, I'm sorry."
"But what is my last name?"
She looked at the floor sadly.  "I have no idea what your last name is, Jezabelle."
"But you know my first name-"
She didn't answer.  "You must be hungry.  Why don't I make you some food?"
I nodded.  Hungry wasn't quite what I was feeling, but at least food is familiar.  Right?

I went downstairs and sat at on the island while she made me breakfast.
Suddenly, tears came to my eyes.  She can't even cook near me like Pumell used to...
I shook my head furiously.  No, that wasn't even real.  Pumell doesn't exist!  Heck, he's a guy.  He betrayed me, he never tried to come with me.  'I can't but I would if I could'.  Yeah, sure Pumell.
I still wasn't crying, but I was shaking against my will.
I know nothing about the world.  Everything could be wrong.  All of my notions could be wrong.  This world could be totally different-
But I looked around and thought through the limited time I was already here.  Well, so far it doesn't seem so different.

When she was done making my food, she sat down with me.  I grimaced at my mac and cheese (it was the best I could do).  At least that looked familiar.
I took a bite, and its tasted swirled along my tongue.  This doesn't taste exactly as I recall it..
Somehow, the mac and cheese tasted different, better than I recall it.  There was more texture-and a stronger cheese flavor.  There were even some inconsistencies in the noodles themselves, which I was oddly happy about.
"So...um, you never told me your name?"
She paused for a second, "call me Brandy."
"Okay.  Um...hi Brandy?"  I was feeling more and more awkward as the realization sunk in.  I don't even know this woman-and yet she is the only person I know of, except for my parents a few decades ago that I don't even remember!
"Why did you never wake me up out of my coma?"
"You were out like a light!  I couldn't.  I would if I could-but that wasn't possible."
Even though I was very sad that I wasn't ever woken up (I understand that it wasn't her fault), I could help but be sad, but I churned up an answer and a happy face, "I understand.  It wasn't your fault."

As I continued to eat, our conversation was awkward and simple, and it lulled many times.  I couldn't stop fiddling in my seat, and I tried my best not to think anymore. 

After I ate, I asked to go to a restroom.  I started to look at my face and survey myself.  I brushed my cheeks and felt some imperfections.  I swore that wasn't there before-
I sighed.  My 'dream'-or whatever my whole life could be considered-made me look prettier, and what else did it do to me?  Was I really stupid?
I looked at my hair, and frowned that it was down.  I felt in my pocket for a ponytail holder, but I didn't have any.  I sighed, and played with my hair in my fingers.  I guess I wasn't going to be putting it up.
I looked at my sweater and frowned.  Oh, this thing is gross.
Not only was it black but it was full of stains and a few small rips.
And of course I wasn't wearing any makeup.  I could really go for some chap stick....

Throughout the day, I did pretty much nothing.  I sat on the couch and shivered, thinking through everything.  I probably should've chosen something to do, but I was too nervous that I wasn't going to know how to do it that I just decided to do nothing.
Later, I was walking past the front door, and Brandy was by me.
"I just want you to know, Jezabelle, that you cannot leave this house until you are questioned.  Is that understood?"
"Yes."
"Try if you want.  It's actually impossible to leave."  She laughed whole heartedly and I tried to smile.
"Um-thanks for the warning..."
I became a little scared-so now I'm prisoner.  But Brandy is just so nice, she only wants what's best for me.  And I don't know where I would go anyway.

That night, I put on a tank top and sweatpants that Brandy put on my bed.  They surprisingly fit me perfectly.  Anyway, I went to bed, and when I was sleeping, something woke me quickly.
"W-what?"
I heard a pebble against the window.
"Please don't be frightened."
"Who-what?"
"I'm coming in.  Now, whatever you do, don't scream."

I fluttered my eyes open, and suddenly a girl stood before me.  I wasn't sure how she got there-it certainly wasn't Brandy, though.
She stretched innocently and looked at me.
"Who the heck are you?"
"No time for that now.  Come on, we must leave here immediately."

7 comments:

  1. soo good!
    just started reading yesterday, i LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you love it. Obviously you do if you're already on chapter 18. There are still some surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg this was so great super surprised at all the things i just found out i feel like im watching a movie just reading the description and detail u put in and it helps that there r pics but im still a little confused is the new lady trying to hurt her by keeping her in the house and why does the new girl that came in her window look like the blonde girl that led her to the facility to keep ross safe? I hav so many questions and right now i am sitting here rereading it trying to make it make sense this is confusing but i cnt wait till u make more wanna kno wat happens and who she is and will we ever find out who giggler is????

    ReplyDelete
  5. o.o whoa! What a twist! I think that is a bit traumatizing though lol to find out your whole life was a lie and all the people you've met and...I should go read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, quite intriguing. :-)

    ~Mr Si-Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have just finished The Hooded Man today, and I also started a new story, which is here: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1540470-different-but-still-the-same

      Delete